Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Peanut Gallery: Rue 21 Beauté! Nail Stickers


Up until recently I have avoided nail stickers. The concept is cool but I just couldn't convince myself to drop $10  for nail stickers that I could get one, maybe two uses out of when I could just buy nail polish instead and use it many more times. Recently I found two different types of nail stickers that were more affordable and decided to give them a try. Here's a little review of one of them.



Pros:

  • Affordable
  • Cool design
  • Comes with the tools you need to apply them

Cons: 

  • Difficult to apply.
    • Compared to the other brand of nail stickers I tried these are really difficult to apply. They were thinner than the other nail stickers and because of how thin they were the kept crumpling up on me and wouldn't lay flat no matter how hard I tried.
    • Also because they were so thin they were hard to file to the right length, even tho I trimmed them really close to the end of my nail with my small sewing scissors.

  • They don't stay on.
    • This is the biggest con in my book. Despite using top coat they just did not stay on. I did my left hand the day before the Halloween party I was attending and my right hand the day of the party (yea I walked around with only one hand done for a while but I didn't have time to do both).
    • The ones on my left hand started falling off after just over 24 hours and I think the last of them fell off after about 2 days.
    • The ones on my right hand started to fall off after just an hour and a half, thus leaving me frantically painting my nails on my right hand black right as we were supposed to be leaving (thankfully I had my OPI Spokkettes in my bag). Also, I forgot to use topcoat on one nail on this hand and that sticker fell off with in half an hour.
Needless to say I was NOT amused.

  • Topcoat doesn't agree with them very well.
    • As I said I used topcoat in the hopes they would stay on longer. While the topcoat did help them stay on longer it also gave the stickers a strange appearance. They got kind of crackly looking, kind of like you put a clear crackle coat over them. While I love crackle polish believe me it was not cute.
It is a tad blurry but you can still see what happened with the top coat

  • The directions 
    • The directions tell you to place the strip and gently stretch the sticker and smooth over the entire nail. Only thing is they don't stretch and they are near impossible to smooth.
    • The directions also say "Carefully remove excess sticker" but don't tell you how. While you may know how if you have done nail stickers before why bother including directions if you aren't going to actually explain how to do things?



Price: Normally about $4 (before tax) but I picked this particular set on clearance for $1.99
Final Thoughts: I will not buy Rue 21 nail stickers again and I definitely don't recommend them. I love their clothes and accessories so I guess I won't hold one flop against them. :P





Psssst. stay tuned for our upcoming giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment