Monday, February 7, 2011

Comments From the Peanut Gallery: HIP Kohl Eyeliner


I found these, L'Oreal Paris: HIP Kohl Eyeliners at Walgreens on sale for under $4 each (normally $8 - $9) and despite having never used a kohl liner before I decided to give them a try. After resisting the urge to buy all the colors (so many pretties) I settled on Gold and Navy.


What is a kohl eyeliner?
Kohl liners are eyeliners that are designed for smudging, often used in smoky eye looks. Often they are soft pencils or, as in the case of the HIP kohl liners, a loose powder. Some people like to use kohl liners for their waterline (though I would assume that the pencil version would work better than a powder cuz oww particles in eye = not fun and it would be hard to get this product onto a brush to pat onto your waterline).

HIP Kohl Eyeliners - The Break Down:
The Good: 
  • THE COLOR. I really love the color of these, though the Navy is considerably darker when applied than it appears to be in the container. They have good pigmentation and the shimmer is wonderful, especially in the Gold, which is my personal favorite.

  • VERSATILITY. They can be smudged for a smoky eye look. They can be applied in a soft but clean line giving you a softer look than with say a liquid liner. If you apply them wet they can be applied in a nice, considerably sharper line (this also greatly reduces fallout)
  • APPLICATOR. The applicator is a semi-flexible spongey material so you aren't poking or scratching at your eyelid with a stiff solid tip.



The Bad:
  • FALL OUT. There is some issue with fall out (particles falling onto the lashes, face, and eyes). There isn't a lot but when I have my contacts in it is irritating.
  • ACCIDENTAL SHMEARIN. This is mostly my fault, I sometimes without thinking rub my eyes and they smear, though by design they are supposed to be smudge-able so really can't blame the product on this one.

Longevity: Honestly, so far I have only worn them a couple times. In my experience so far they last pretty well. Once I have worn them more I'll give you a better idea of how they last.

Price: Reasonable, especially on sale

Would I buy again?: Possibly, I don't do smoky/smudged looks very often but I really do love the colors.

I currently do not have any pictures of these on my eyelids, when I get some I will add them. 





Like Makeup Madness on Facebook!
fb
You can now keep up with what's new with M.M. right from Facebook! 
(and even see sneak peeks, pics, etc. not posted to the blog :D )
Click on the Facebook icon above to go to the Facebook page for M.M. & click like :D
(clicking the icon will open the page in a new tab)


No comments:

Post a Comment