Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Peanut Gallery: Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils


I don't know if I'm the only one but for years I struggled with pencil eyeliner that not only smudged but transfered onto my  eyelid up away from the lash line due to the way my eyes are shaped/how they open etc. I love the quick simplicity of a pencil liner but having it always end up looking horrible after a few hours was frustrating. 
Then I discovered Urban Decay 24/7 Gliding Eye Pencils.


Urban Decay explains its 24/7 Pencils thusly:
"The best Eye Pencil ever, ever, ever! Never before has a pencil this creamy and brilliant been waterproof, too. Velvety-soft, this never-before-seen formula stays soft and creamy for blending (about 30 seconds), then dries down to a long-lasting finish that WILL NOT budge. ... Created with 50% moisturizing ingredients suspended in a sophisticated waterproof formula, 24/7 Eye Pencils offer long-lasting color and a dreamy, creamy feel when applied. With Jojoba Oil, Vitamin E and Cottonseed Oil."


Now that sounds amazing. But is it true? Lucky for you I happen to have acquired a few of these babies (8 to be precise) and I am here to let you know how they work.


THE GOOD

  • Smooth application: These pencils really do glide, there is virtually no tugging and pulling on the eyelid like most pencils do. 
  • Texture: They are nice and creamy. You can definitely tell they have moisturizing ingredients
  • Staying power: I no longer have issues with pencil ending up transferring onto different parts of my eyelids. Are they 100% waterproof... eh... I'd say more very water resistant. For example if my eyes water (due to cold winter air or w/e) especially if I then rub my eyes the liner on my lower lash line does smudge some. However, I have noticed that when I use a primer and base on my lid and lower lash line this doesn't really happen anymore. Aside from eyes watering this stuff really does not move.
  • Versatility: As UD claims you can smudge these when you first apply them or you can leave the line crisp and it will stay crisp all day long.
  • COLOR COLOR COLOR: Oh my goodness these colors are amazing!! and there is a wide variety of colors available. Some are metallic some are sparkley (with super super find glitter that you can't even feel) some are matte. There really is something for everyone. Since seeing is believing later in this article I will post swatches of all 8 of my pencils for ya :D
  • Calling all vegans: True UD is not a purely vegan company but a good number of the liners are vegan. It is easy to find out which ones are vegan friendly. All you have to do is find the  UD 24/7 Eye Pencils on UD's website. Each color has a squiggle of that color with the name, description and number, and on some of them you will see a small paw print which means it is vegan. Zero pictured below is just one example. (UD does the same thing with their other products including their eye shadows)
.



THE BAD

  • Waterline fail: UD says "24/7 Eye Pencils are ideal for lining inner lids because the waterproof formula stays put. Just apply, try not to blink for a sec, and you've got immovable liner. " and I know some people use these on their waterlines with great success, however for me they do not work well on the waterline AT ALL. I have a hard time getting anything to stay on my waterline though, so this may just be me. 
  • Price: The cost of $18 for one full size stick of eyeliner is, *winces* painful. However, as I said I have 8 of them and many of them I got in either the Jet Set pack, which has two travel size liners for $15 (and they still are decent sized liners) or the Pencil Duo w/ sharpener, two full size liners and sharpener for $30. There are also other larger package deals in which you get a little more bang for your buck. These are available at Ulta, Sephora, and/or on Urban Decay's website. Also, keep an eye out for coupons to help ya out.
  • Removal: warning this stuff can be a bit of a pain in the butt to remove depending on what eye makeup remover you use. (I recommended Neutrogena oil-free eye makeup remover) 



OVERALL: While they don't exactly 100% live up to UD's description of them they are AMAZING none the less


COLOR REVISITED!: Now for your viewing pleasure UD 24/7 swatched!
First things first my pencils (dual end is from Naked Palette):

1. Whiskey - dark brown
2. Crash - deep plum w/ teeny silver glitter
3. Underground - metallic taupe (one of my favs!)
4. Rockstar - darkest eggplant
5. Gunmetal - gunmetal w/ teeny silver glitter
6. Lust - deep purple w/ subtle silver sparkle
7. Oil Slick - black w/ teeny silver glitter
8. Zero - black

SWATCH SET 1 (indirect sunlight w/ inside lighting & flash. truest to color of the two sets):

SWATCH SET 2 (sort of sunlight, it was cloudy... no flash... rather washed out... less accurate...)

These pictures do not fully cover the amazingness of these colors. They are all to die for. 





WOULD I BUY AGAIN: Hellz yea. UD 24/7 pencils are the best eye pencil I have ever found. They are hands down my favorite pencil liner. No ifs ands or buts about it. 


*UPDATE: Tip for waterline use. Apply a UD liner (or any liner) to your water line then with a small brush pat a SMALL amount of eyeshadow over the liner, preferably one that does not have glitter particles cuz those wouldn't be fun to get in your eye, though very fine glitter particles should be fine. Obviously your waterline will be the color of the eyeshadow more so than the color of the liner but the shadow sets the liner and makes it last MUCH longer on your waterline






Like Makeup Madness on Facebook!
fb
You can now keep up with what's new with M.M. right from Facebook! 
(and even see sneak peeks, pics, etc. not posted to the blog :D )
Click on the Facebook icon above to go to the Facebook page for M.M. & click like :D
(clicking the icon will open the page in a new tab)

No comments:

Post a Comment