Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Peanut Gallery: Neutrogena Oil-free Eye Makeup Remover

 If you are having trouble getting your eye makeup off then this may be your answer.

I noticed once I started using primer and base my old eye makeup remover just wasn't cutting it, I really had to rub at my eye with it to get it off which needless to say was not fun. >.< ouchy. And it was near impossible to get glue from my false eyelashes off with out rubbing my eyelid like mad or picking/peeling it off. >.< double ouchy.  So after putting up with this for a little while and my eyelids getting irritated and sore I decided it was time for a change. I had heard good things about this stuff so I decided to give it a try.

THE GOOD:
  • Easy-peasy: FACT: I am lazy about certain things, including makeup removal. It has to be quick and easy and effective. This product is all three. All you have to do is: 
    • 1. Shake the bottle til the water and whatever is floating on top (which looks suspiciously like oil for an oil free product...) mix together (which doesn't take long at all).
    • 2. Apply product to your cotton ball/cotton round/whatever you use and wipe off your eye makeup. 
    • 3.Then grab another cotton round/etc. dampen it with a little bit of water and wipe that over your eyelid, under eye, etc. and you are done. See? simple.
  • Does it make the grade? 
    • Eyeshadow over Primer and Base: A
      • Gone with out lots of rubbing and scrubbing
    • Eyeliner: A
    • Stubborn "Waterproof" Eyeliner: A
      • Urban Decay 24/7 eye pencil ("waterproof") gone
    • False eyelash glue: A+
      • makes removing left over eye lash glue sooooooooo much easier!!!
    • Mascara: B+
      • Now I'm not one of those people who obsessively makes sure every little bit of mascara is gone but if you hold the cotton ball/cotton round/whatever to your eyelid/lashes it does a good job of removing it with out a lot of rubbing at your eyelashes. It certainly does a better job than most products I've used. However, as stated I don't make sure every little bit it off.
    • Water-Proof Mascara: ?
      • I have heard it does a very good job of removing waterproof mascara however I do not own even one waterproof mascara so I can't test that out for you. But I have heard from people whose opinion I trust that it does a wonderful job.
  • No eye irritation here: It does not irritate my eyes, even when I have my contact lenses in (which you probably shouldn't do : x oops )
  • No burning, itching, etc.: It doesn't make my eyelids sore at all
  • Did you goof?: Being somewhat new to blending etc I occasionally mess up and need to remove all or just part of my makeup and redo it. Some removers leave an oily residue making re-doing it right away not an option. This stuff really does not and you can re-do your makeup right away.


THE BAD:
  • Dry skin?: Shortly after starting to use this product I noticed dry skin developing on the outer corner of my eyelid and the surrounding skin. I can not say 100% for sure without a doubt that it's from this product since I also started using Urban Decay's Primer Potion around the same time and that has been known to dry out people's skin, BUT this dry skin issue happens even when I use my other primer so it very well could be this product. However, I am prone to dry skin as it is and it is mild so it isn't anything I little bit of face moisturizer can't handle.

THE IN BETWEEN:
  • Oil Free?: Well there is certainly something there floating on top of the water like oil would until you shake it up.... however it doesn't leave the skin oily. 


Price: about $5-$6 a bottle in store, which I think is pretty darn reasonable for something that really works. I've also heard the Target brand (Up&Up) version of this works well and it is a lil cheaper (about $4-$5)

Would I buy again: Most definitely!

And since seeing is believing:
A video of little ol' me takin off my eye makeup (false lashes included) so you can see for yourself how well it works. Note: no sound needed. and the blue cup in the video has water in it since I am in my room where there is no running water. Also pardon random odd facial expressions lol.








Like Makeup Madness on Facebook!
fb
You can now keep up with what's new with M.M. right from Facebook! 
(and even see sneak peeks, pics, etc. not posted to the blog :D )
Click on the Facebook icon above to go to the Facebook page for M.M. & click like :D
(clicking the icon will open the page in a new tab)

2 comments:

  1. Yay for odd facial expressions! :)

    Thank you for this. I've been trying to find an oil free eye makeup remover that I can get from the drug store, that isn't horribly expensive, that also doesn't take a ton of rubbing to actually do its job! :) I'll have to pick some of this stuff up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome :D I really love this stuff. My Target has it on sale right now idk if all Targets do but its worth checking! :D

    ReplyDelete